Part of how I keep myself sane is by cooking big enough batches of food that I have leftovers – that way I don’t have to cook every day! This recipe is enough for 4 people, or for leftovers for 1 or 2 people. My husband eats a lot of food, so honestly it could probably serve even more people than that, depending on how hungry everyone is!
Side note – If you don’t eat meat, you can always substitute the steak with portobello mushrooms, or whatever other creative option you feel like going for!
- 2lb flank steak
- Leafy greens of your choice (I like baby salad greens and romaine lettuce)
- 2 small/medium-sized sweet potatoes
- 2 bell peppers (any color)
- 1 large red or yellow onion
- Quinoa and/or rice to serve
- Sliced Avocado to serve
- Salsa to serve (optional)
- Olive Oil
Avocado Lime Dressing:
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 cup packed cilantro
- 1-2 teaspoons lime juice
Marinade for Steak:
- 1/2 cup soy sauce or Tamari
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp paprika
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- Put all the marinade ingredients in a Ziploc bag with the steak. Rub the marinade over the steak and then put it in the refrigerator. Allow that meat to marinate for a minimum of 1 hour – the longer, the better!
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Slice the onion and the bell peppers into long strips, and dice the sweet potatoes into squares. Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and the bell peppers and onions on another sheet. Drizzle both with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook the sweet potatoes for about 20-30 minutes in the oven, flipping them halfway through. Cook the veggies for 20 minutes.
- To make the dressing, place all the ingredients for the dressing into a food processor or blender, except for the water. Blend and add water gradually until the dressing has a runny consistency, like a thick salad dressing.
- Cook the rice and/or quinoa according to instructions. I like to cook my quinoa in vegetable broth to give it some extra flavor.
- Heat a cast iron skillet. Once hot, place the steak in the skillet. Allow the steak to cook on each side for 5-8 minutes, depending on how well-done you’d like your steak to be. Once cooked, allow the steak to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- To serve, simply toss everything together in a bowl and enjoy!
Hope you enjoy this recipe! Try it out and let me know what you think.